AlchemillaHsospital

Downcoming

Discuss Silent Hill Homecoming here.
firecrest

Re: Downcoming

Post by firecrest »

I think Homecoming was given some time extensions for further development. If I understand correctly, the game was originally supposed to be released close to the first movie's release date. Konami was being ambitious as they thought they could get more people interested in the franchise by introducing them to the movie; then having them buy the game. This is why some of the aesthetics, monsters and locations like the Grand Hotel are shared between the movie and Homecoming. I'm not convinced that Double Helix would have made Homecoming better with additional time.

I think Konami is trying the same thing with Silent Hill 2 Remake and the "Return to Silent Hill" movie. Some fans were asking why Konami didn't start with the original game. It makes sense when the game and movie have a similar plot. At least we know Bloober had been working on the game since 2019.
Otherworld

Post by Otherworld »

From what I remember Homecoming was given an extension because the narrative was nonsensical
TH saved this game from completely destroying this franchise.
I'm going to town either way.
firecrest

Post by firecrest »

Homecoming had an original narrative? What was it?
Norus_Rebirthed

Post by Norus_Rebirthed »

firecrest wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 6:25 pm Homecoming had an original narrative? What was it?
This is going way back. But Homecoming was to be a trilogy of games. Did it end with Josh fighting Pyramid Head somehow? So Homecoming could have been a bigger "failure". But still feel planning a trilogy instead of just making great Silent Hill titles was a big a misstep as Konami timetable.
I still don't know all the details about the trilogy. But I'd still have liked another couple of titles from this developer.
firecrest

Post by firecrest »

Now that you mention it, I do remember an initial pitch where Alessa as an agent of fire, and Joshua as an agent of water were supposed to fight for the balance of Silent Hill's Otherworld.

That would have been awesome. :brows:
Norus_Rebirthed

Post by Norus_Rebirthed »

firecrest wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 1:56 am Now that you mention it, I do remember an initial pitch where Alessa as an agent of fire, and Joshua as an agent of water were supposed to fight for the balance of Silent Hill's Otherworld.

Eeh... Another game wouldn't have hurt but Varta had it right with going stand alone. Oh who am I kidding, if that agent of fire and water became a trilogy and was on PS3, I'd have played the fuck out of them and be spam posting messages like "Silent Hill Half-Arsed 3: The Final Chapter As This Trilogy Thing Just Shot Up In Our Faces But Be Thankful Without These Your Precious Silent Hill series wouldn't be five times the amount of Silent Hill titles you got in reality".
I would be posting endlessly that was the greatest overlooked classic of Silent Hill.
Who's to say that abandoned trilogy idea gets revived after the next batch of games next year?
Elsewhere Gans is reading and thinking "Sacrebleu! C'est mon idee pour film!!".
Otherworld

Post by Otherworld »

firecrest wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 1:56 am Now that you mention it, I do remember an initial pitch where Alessa as an agent of fire, and Joshua as an agent of water were supposed to fight for the balance of Silent Hill's Otherworld.

LOL.

This fanbase would have gone completely ballistic if a game like that was released.

:cookie: :cookie: :cookie:
I'm going to town either way.
Annin_Tofu

Post by Annin_Tofu »

Sounds like how Capcom are today. :cookie:
Xuchilbara

Post by Xuchilbara »

that would be the end of Silent Hill for me. Clearly, the suits have no idea what they're doing. :cookie:
"Speak.
I am the Crimson One.
The lies and the mist are
not they, but I.
You all know that I am One.
Yes, and the One is I."
- Me, probably
rodox_head

Post by rodox_head »

Xuchilbara wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 11:18 pm that would be the end of Silent Hill for me. Clearly, the suits have no idea what they're doing. :cookie:
Been a while since I looked up any accounts from Tomm, but weren't things like the Josh/Alessa lake fight from Double-Helix? PH's appearance was obviously Konami's influence. As iffy as the game eventually came to be, being reminded about that kinda stuff makes me imagine someone shoving any sense of taste into the script like a square block of play-dough into a circular hole. :lol:
In here is a tragedy, art thou player or audience?
Be as it may, the end doth remain:
all go on only toward death.
There is nothing which cannot become a puppet of fate
or an onlooker, peering into the cage.