AlchemillaHsospital

Did the mechanics hurt this game?

Discuss Silent Hill 4 here.
Otherworld

Did the mechanics hurt this game?

Post by Otherworld »

For some reason, the new mechanics introduced in 4 always felt like it hurt the game.

If they had kept the mechanics the same it would have helped out.
I'm going to town either way.
Norus_Rebirthed

Re: Did the mechanics hurt this game?

Post by Norus_Rebirthed »

It was a bit of an adjustment. Many bullets and swings with weapons missed. They never went back to that combat mechanic. I'm wondering if that type of system was used in a different game for a different series?
Maybe the developers thought we'd waste all our bullets shooting the ghosts that didn't die? And had to add a different mechanism for fighting in the game.
Otherworld

Post by Otherworld »

I just thought if the previous mechanics were utilized it may have taken some of the frustration out of gameplay and allowed the narrative to shine.
I'm going to town either way.
Annin_Tofu

Post by Annin_Tofu »

I always found the game hard. It was tedious having to run back to the room to save your progress or store items, and then the monotony increased when you had to find holy candles to heal the apartment. Keeping Eileen safe too was no small task.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I think they were just experimenting, but i dont think it helped. i preferred the old way of choosing items. i didn't mind going to the apartment to save because the feel of the apartment changed, and there were surprises to be found there if it was haunted, especially. what i didn't really like, looking back, was revisiting every damned level. combat kinda sucked but i'm used to that and dont even really mind
Annin_Tofu

Post by Annin_Tofu »

It's my least favourite of the games made by Team Silent. Although it's not a bad game. I just found the gameplay was irritating.