AlchemillaHsospital

Any News About This?

floatstinger

Any News About This?

Post by floatstinger »

Rumors, rumblings online, anything? I don't talk about SH anywhere but forums, so I dunno if I've missed something on twitter or reddit.

This was the only thing they announced I was excited for....despite my better judgement seeing as they handed it off to another no name developer once again.

Ascension was a complete joke, and Short Message was whatever. 2012's Year of Silent Hill all over again.
Norus_Rebirthed

Re: Any News About This?

Post by Norus_Rebirthed »

Currently it's all about the Silent Hill 2 remake getting a release date. I did think f was the more interesting of the trailers we'd saw. If we haven't heard anything. It's because it's still being worked on is my way of coping!
We're getting a lot of Silent Hill stuff compared to the last decade. Some will stick tighter than others.
I think the next film's the only thing I'll be in a position to see for myself.
Annin_Tofu

Post by Annin_Tofu »

No. They just keep reiterating the same "news" online.

https://gamerant.com/silent-hill-f-1960 ... rtant-why/
Otherworld

Post by Otherworld »

After the initial drop, there hasn't been any new information....
I'm going to town either way.
Annin_Tofu

Post by Annin_Tofu »

This is probably gonna have nothing to do with Silent Hill anyway. I fear they're gonna just do a lot of games about monsters, and tack on a reference to Silent Hill like they did in the free game they released in January. It's really not very Silent Hill-ish anymore. The whole point of the series I feel is that it should take place in the town. Otherwise, why call it that anymore?

Resident Evil has also gotten very weird as well. Like now you can tell Capcom is just milking the franchise, and they always try to keep you glued to it by talking nonsense about Umbrella supposedly coming back. But it's neither here nor there. Is it? They talk a lot about Umbrella, but they seem to take their time actually getting down to the nitty gritty of it all. And now they're doing a massive time jump with Rosemary, so maybe Chris will look old. It's possible he won't appear old, as he seemingly got infected, so he could stay kind of semi-young. Possibly.

I feel like both series are only still around because they can milk their legacy, and few people see any issue with that.
floatstinger

Post by floatstinger »

Otherworld wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:57 pm After the initial drop, there hasn't been any new information....
God. Being a fan of this series is suffering. It feels like we're trapped in Silent Hill ourselves. The worst part? I've been making that joke for over a decade now.
Annin_Tofu wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:18 am This is probably gonna have nothing to do with Silent Hill anyway. I fear they're gonna just do a lot of games about monsters, and tack on a reference to Silent Hill like they did in the free game they released in January. It's really not very Silent Hill-ish anymore. The whole point of the series I feel is that it should take place in the town. Otherwise, why call it that anymore?

Resident Evil has also gotten very weird as well. Like now you can tell Capcom is just milking the franchise, and they always try to keep you glued to it by talking nonsense about Umbrella supposedly coming back. But it's neither here nor there. Is it? They talk a lot about Umbrella, but they seem to take their time actually getting down to the nitty gritty of it all. And now they're doing a massive time jump with Rosemary, so maybe Chris will look old. It's possible he won't appear old, as he seemingly got infected, so he could stay kind of semi-young. Possibly.

I feel like both series are only still around because they can milk their legacy, and few people see any issue with that.
I feel like RE has had way more highs than lows than SH in the last decade+. RE 2 remake, RE 4 remake, RE 7 were all absolutely fantastic IMO. RE 2 remake might be my favorite remake ever made, and I've played it too many times to count.

I'm a SH apologist, and it's my favorite series to this day, even still, what have we gotten in comparison in the last decade+?

Mind you, this is coming from someone who genuinely enjoyed Downpour and feels Tomm got WAY too much hate to the point it was embarrassing.

I'll always contend Vatra did the best they could have possibly done given their collective experience and timetable given by Konami. There was a great game in Downpour (in my opinion anyways) that just needed some changes and more seasoning.

The monsters, lack of boss fights, re-using the worst aspects of SM, and lack of genuine horror were what held it back most IMO.

Also, what exactly can be done with this series at this point?

Your options:

The Cult

It's been done in SH 1, 3, 0rigns, and Homecoming. What ground is their left to cover? By Homecoming the Cult is pretty much 100% dead.

IMO the only thing you could do to keep this aspect fresh is to go do a game set in the past (1800s) and show us the beginnings of the town like that one comic did. Or you can finally show the real world Silent Hill and blend that in with the unexplored drug trade (White Claudia).

Maybe you have a detective trying to solve murders and he's occasionally pulled into the Otherworld?

I know it's not exactly creative, but what else is there to do with the cult?

Either that or you get Therapy Time and everyone accuses the devs of trying to copy Silent Hill 2. Downpour tried to do Therapy Time, and even still, everyone called it a SH 2 retread despite it trying its best to be its own thing.

Silent Hill is like Star Wars. It may feel like a giant universe of possibilities, but there really isn't many options that the fans want. You either go the cult route or the therapy town route, and either way, the fans will probably hate it.

Shattered Memories already did the soft reboot re-telling of the series' events. You can do that again, sure, but it's already been done.

Sorry for the pessimism. Just not feeling good I guess.

The best move Konami could make given Silent Hill's resurgence in popularity in the past few years is to do a truly great remake of the first game and soft reboot the series. They cannot cheapout on the developer team this time, it would have to be RE 2 remake tier.
Otherworld

Post by Otherworld »

floatstinger wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:26 am
Otherworld wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:57 pm After the initial drop, there hasn't been any new information....
God. Being a fan of this series is suffering. It feels like we're trapped in Silent Hill ourselves. The worst part? I've been making that joke for over a decade now.

^ I feel the same way lol
Otherworld

Post by Otherworld »

floatstinger wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:26 am

^ I feel the same way lol