AlchemillaHsospital

Truly, an all-inclusive medium

Discuss the upcoming PS5-exclusive remake
Otherworld

Truly, an all-inclusive medium

Post by Otherworld »

Surprisingly, I had a small amount of time to myself this weekend and I found myself coming across a bunch of reaction videos of the Silent Hill 2 Remake trailer, and here are a couple of observations I came away with.

Silent Hill 2 is truly an all-inclusive medium.

I watched people, young and old, of all ethnicities, of all sexualities, and all walks of life make their videos, reacting to seeing James for the 1st time in years. So many times I heard, "I have been waiting years to see this" The amount of diversity I witnessed, all different types of people super hyped in regards to this video game remake was astounding. I truly was taken aback by the plethora of different people that were moved just by seeing James in Silent Hill again.

What I found...

Video after video, no matter who was reacting, I watched people become overwhelmed with emotion to the point of tears, again and again. Crying, holding their face, whipping away tears, and yelling at the top of their lungs by seeing the characters, places, and monsters that have touched their lives like nothing else ever could when it comes to this medium. Video games. To be more specific, Silent Hill 2.

To see a video game break down all of these different people to the point of tears, all in the same way, was truly something to behold.

What I learned.

A video game, this video game reached every single one of these people, no matter who they are, on a level that all of us share. It touched upon everyone's basic humanity. What we all share. What we all have in common. To see all of the commonalities between so many different people that may not have anything else in common became truly inspiring. We haven't had the greatest couple of years, and we haven't seen the best out of a lot of people. There has been so much that has geared us toward division and tribalism. It's difficult to rise above this phenomenon.

Or at least it was....

After witnessing what I did, if anyone tries to tell me that there is no way they'll able to understand or have common ground with others they don't understand I'll be sure and tell them this story. That I watched people from all walks of life react the very same way to this truly all-inclusive medium so they'll know that we're all human, we're all connected, and we all want the same connection to things that truly matter.
I'm going to town either way.
Norus_Rebirthed

Re: Truly, an all-inclusive medium

Post by Norus_Rebirthed »

I came across a recent walkthrough video of someone playing the PS2 version. Jumping at all the right beats on their way to the town. *sniffs Silent Hill 2 has been accepted by a generation I thought would have found the control system tedious!
LostInTheFog

Post by LostInTheFog »

Thanks for the feedback, I am watching the World Cup, among with other things, out of time myself.

Speeking about time, I hope these people will have the same immersive experience we had in a PS2 in a CRT TV with mind fully focused in the game. I autoplay mode, it was just turn on the play and we were inside! But we have lost this kind of deep immersion... I am curious to see the remake solution, if any, to this issue.
"Killing a person ain't no big deal. Just put the gun to their head... pow!"
Otherworld

Post by Otherworld »

Norus_Rebirthed wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:16 pm I came across a recent walkthrough video of someone playing the PS2 version. Jumping at all the right beats on their way to the town. *sniffs Silent Hill 2 has been accepted by a generation I thought would have found the control system tedious!
A lot of people would never have had the chance to play this game if not for the remake. The controls or even just finding the game makes it difficult.I am happy they will now if they can afford a PS5.
LostInTheFog wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 8:53 pm Thanks for the feedback, I am watching the World Cup, among with other things, out of time myself.

Speeking about time, I hope these people will have the same immersive experience we had in a PS2 in a CRT TV with mind fully focused in the game. I autoplay mode, it was just turn on the play and we were inside! But we have lost this kind of deep immersion... I am curious to see the remake solution, if any, to this issue.
That will be the test of this game. Immersion will have to be fantastic to truly get the player trying to understand what James has done and what he is going through.
I'm going to town either way.
Xuchilbara

Post by Xuchilbara »

There's definitely over-whelming emotion on this video game for people. That's why people get so emotional about the franchise, but 2 in particular. It's why you see people go crazy over it, too. :robbie:
"Speak.
I am the Crimson One.
The lies and the mist are
not they, but I.
You all know that I am One.
Yes, and the One is I."
- Me, probably
Annin_Tofu

Post by Annin_Tofu »

I cannot speak for SH2 as I haven't played it yet, but when it comes to remakes like RE2, there are changes that feel drastic, unwanted, or whatever. Namely the changes to the story and then cutting out certain enemies. People already expressed their disappointment at having the tarantulas removed, but the crows are also gone, and they altered the plants in the lab for some reason.

Another thing I personally didn't agree with was how they repeated everything. Like for example, you see the same scenes in both the A and B scenarios, which makes no sense. In the original game, the other character was supposed to be chased by Mr. X, and with how they do it in the remake, it's essentially done up that way to cater to the speed runners on YouTube. Because I feel as if YouTubers do dictate the results that companies are aiming for.

The gameplay felt jarring too. When you were shooting the zombies, the guns didn't feel very "impactful" or whatever you want to call it. Every gun in fact feels like it barely flinches the zombies, or in RE8, the things that walk around the castle courtyards holding swords. And everything looks too dark. The original RE2 was more bright. That's also annoying.
Norus_Rebirthed

thesaunderschild wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 6:12 am I cannot speak for SH2 as I haven't played it yet
What?!! WHAT? Not even the PC/PS2 or even HD Collection version? :o
"yet". What are your plans for playing it? How are you working on getting a console to play a copy?
See, I never really post on games I haven't played. Hence more or less radio silence.
But dude! You haven't played Silent Hill 2!
OR you meant this SH2 remake which is correct and I've misunderstood. :oops: :P
You think that's bad? I've come across someone online who claims they got into liking a TV series through Tropes and other websites than by actually watching a fucking episode!
I've got it wrong. You meant the PS5 SH2. But look how it's all written down? Let's read it again in varying accents!
:mira:
Annin_Tofu

Post by Annin_Tofu »

Yes. I was referring to the remake. :mrgreen:
Norus_Rebirthed

thesaunderschild wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 8:12 am Yes. I was referring to the remake. :mrgreen:
:lol:
Annin_Tofu

Post by Annin_Tofu »

I see people asking for a demo for the RE4 and SH2 remakes, but they're both going to be here before we know it. :oops:

Well, I hope so.