AlchemillaHsospital

The standard has rise for a SH movie, are they ready?

Discuss the upcoming movie directed by Christoph Gans
LostInTheFog

The standard has rise for a SH movie, are they ready?

Post by LostInTheFog »

Movies and games have common production problems. When you finally get the money and start the production, start to code/shot, you don't know for sure how will be the world when you release it, and than, of course, it's too late! One good visible example is the pandemics, other is the war, but can be something inside the mood of the market also. Many good movies and good games don't have the deserved reception because of some change in peoples mind or because of the competition.

Today is "The Last of Us" day here in Brazil. Many people I know, game players or not, are waiting for 11 PM when the next episode will be released. The meaning of success of a production. This series is the perfect game adaptation - or the closest to perfection you can get. They started with a successful team (from Chernobyl) for a task they knew is hard, than an nice casting, than a nice and meticulous production, and so on... they knew The Last is an awesome source material - but only if respected and with dedication in every aspect and every step of the way.

The first SH movie is a nice adaptation, but don't have all this care, it's a fan movie with some pro production. It does not follow the original source material, not even the exactly universe, and have movie problems either. If it was released today, will be very criticized, considered just ok for an entertainment time, and will be forgotten in some stream catalog.

I think Return to Silent Hill have good names in the team and the back of Konami among with the success of The Last can bring some money, casting and all needed for a good adaptation, but I am not sure if they are ready for 2023. The script should be done already if they intent to shot next month, can be changed? Will they make something they thought a year ago? Have they assumed people will demand so much more now? I don't know, everything is possible... good luck, team, you going to need!
"Killing a person ain't no big deal. Just put the gun to their head... pow!"
Norus_Rebirthed

Re: The standard has rise for a SH movie, are they ready?

Post by Norus_Rebirthed »

2025. That's when the window will close. Thankful we get anything this year. More realistic it gets filmed this year and everything edited, mixed etc.
2025? Really pushing it. If it ever gets released at all. *Stares ruefully at Salem's Lot junked movie from last year.
LostInTheFog

Post by LostInTheFog »

Norus_Rebirthed wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:43 pm 2025. That's when the window will close. Thankful we get anything this year. More realistic it gets filmed this year and everything edited, mixed etc.
2025? Really pushing it. If it ever gets released at all. *Stares ruefully at Salem's Lot junked movie from last year.
The date you said in your thread was 2023 or early 2024... I could not find any official declaration about.

By the way, I watched some fan made movies. It's interesting how they DON'T follow the original source material. It's difficult to demand faithful to movie producers when fans don't care...
Norus_Rebirthed

LostInTheFog wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:00 pm
Norus_Rebirthed wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:43 pm 2025. That's when the window will close. Thankful we get anything this year. More realistic it gets filmed this year and everything edited, mixed etc.
The date you said in your thread was 2023 or early 2024... I could not find any official declaration about.

By the way, I watched some fan made movies. It's interesting how they DON'T follow the original source material. It's difficult to demand faithful to movie producers when fans don't care...
I added 2025 because I'm being generous! Seriously, we should at least have had a cast list by now.
I've also got into a row elsewhere over a film adaptation of an Emerson, Lake and Palmer song.
Developed and green lit in 2019. Yes, we had the COVID lockdown. But three years later... No word on that film either. "Development Hell" is apparently the phrase that gets used.
Projects that might be interesting stuck in an office arguing over money and resources.
If December comes and we've still not had any concrete news about how has been cast. Then we'll have our answer. Anyway, we're Silent Hill fans. We should be used to promises by now!
LostInTheFog

Post by LostInTheFog »

Norus_Rebirthed wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:52 pmAnyway, we're Silent Hill fans. We should be used to promises by now!
Poetry from otherworld! I would add that we also like to go out with Maria sometimes, it's not Mary but...

If they starts to shot next year, I will be more confident of a good result, more time do work on in, specially in the script. But they can't made the mistake of waiting for too long, again. Hope they know about the right timing.
Norus_Rebirthed

Rely on Horror article. Which is translated from an article written in German.
Plot details! At least one cast member... Not confirmed confirmed. From the synopsis it does sound like they've deviated from the storyline. I hope it's bollocks because it does sound more like a Romantic Comedy than Silent Hill 2! Yeah. Well forewarned etc. This is what happens when we don't get solid details.

https://www.relyonhorror.com/latest-new ... y-revealed

EDIT: Take a deep deep breath before you post! It might be half truth or completely wrong end of the stick.
Otherworld

Post by Otherworld »

I have no issue with a loose adaptation. Just it the high notes and be faithful to the overarching narrative.

Please make this for a mature audience.

Silent Hill 2 is nowhere near a traditional video game. Give it the respect it deserves.
I'm going to town either way.
Annin_Tofu

Post by Annin_Tofu »

Seemingly, the plot has just been confirmed. :shock:

It seems as if there's gonna be a lot of changes to the story, with a new character involved named Jacob Crane.

I mean, the other movies received changes too. So maybe we shouldn't sound that surprised.

https://www.eurogamer.net/silent-hill-2 ... ast-update