AlchemillaHsospital

Resident Evil 4 (Remake) *Official Topic*

Discussions on all other popular horror video game franchises.
LostInTheFog

Re: Resident Evil 4 (Remake) *Official Topic*

Post by LostInTheFog »

I finally can play those games, got an old "muscle" PC Gamer in my TV.

I have ended RE2 Remake, Leon's ride. As I have started Claire's ride, I am already thinking about RE3 Remake. They manage to improve those games from original. Despite some points we might not like, overall the game is more fluid and fun.

But I won't buy RE4 Remake. I have seen the reviews and comparisons with my original RE4 for PS2. Despite I believe the gameplay must be Capcom standard (hight), I didn't like the changes, and there are a few.

You know, the situation is different. The fist games was very primitive, very cool but also with a lot of issues. All of this could be improved, adapted, managed somehow and now we have high resolution and awesome gameplay. But RE4 is already good as a game and narrative. So when they decided to change Ashley and some of the story, they broke what was already ready. If you play RE4 in a PS2 today, you will experience a modern game with an awesome story. There is nothing to "remake" here.

I would not mind they add some content and make some adaptations in the gameplay, but I see character different from the original one - they are not the same. What's the point?

An example: Ashley is that teenage girl, the daddy's kid that Luis mock on and we have to carry on, sometimes annoying as we are when teens. The new version does not fit in the original plot so they made some shameless fix! No crush with Leon!

And that's not my beloved Ada, and I will pass this remake.
"Killing a person ain't no big deal. Just put the gun to their head... pow!"
Annin_Tofu

Post by Annin_Tofu »

I've basically lost interest in the franchise, because I don't like the direction Capcom has taken it in. The storylines are babyish now. Especially that nonsense with the puppet in RE8, and Lady Dimitrescu. It was just too corny, even for the RE franchise.

I think making the series into action a few decades ago was what was the beginning of the end. While 4 and 5 were good games, they weren't scary. I find other games in the genre interest me more, because while they may have action too, they're more atmospheric.

The RE franchise is so convoluted. Like for example, I think the blue Umbrella thing in RE7 is a ploy to get fans thinking that Capcom is going to bring them back. People say that Umbrella never really ended. They just kept a lower profile after Raccoon City was nuked. While that is perhaps kind of true, I feel like Capcom has kept me waiting for too long, to actually go anywhere with the plot aspects I refer to. So it's annoying getting all of these loosely connected plot points.

Not to mention how they redesign the characters. Chris has been changed so much in the last 7 years, that I cannot be arsed caring anymore.
LostInTheFog

Post by LostInTheFog »

Annin_Tofu wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 9:26 am The RE franchise is so convoluted. Like for example, I think the blue Umbrella thing in RE7 is a ploy to get fans thinking that Capcom is going to bring them back. People say that Umbrella never really ended. They just kept a lower profile after Raccoon City was nuked. While that is perhaps kind of true, I feel like Capcom has kept me waiting for too long, to actually go anywhere with the plot aspects I refer to. So it's annoying getting all of these loosely connected plot points.

Not to mention how they redesign the characters. Chris has been changed so much in the last 7 years, that I cannot be arsed caring anymore.
The original games were inspired in horror movies from the 80's and 90's when the used to create a franchise just because the first movie did good in the market, and as they didn't care much for clichés they also didn't care much for the consistency of the franchise among the editions. RE4 is inspired in the originals following an adventure line, is more frightening than scary. However, all suppose to be inside the RE universe. Not difficult for the 2005 version, very different today because glitches will been collected along the way, and today we are more demanding.

Making a game today is expansive and difficult because of the level of visual realism the engines can provide. If asked to me, with the actual team, I would prefer to bet in a Code Veronica remake instead of a such iconic, unique and controversial game as RE4.
"Killing a person ain't no big deal. Just put the gun to their head... pow!"
Annin_Tofu

Post by Annin_Tofu »

I know they needed to make the games more accessible. I just felt as if the games got too casualized in some ways. Like when you play a lot of the recent ones, they basically have numbers that subtract on the screen, when you get near your exit point. But that's baby steps. Older games made you locate the doors yourself.

I also think the idea of merchants popping up to sell you things is pretty silly, and it's not really survival horror. It's interesting, I suppose. At least you get a lot of amusing banter from the Duke, but it's actually something I feel makes the horror experience too neutral. When you don't have to find stuff any more, it doesn't feel the same.

Of course, you still have to find coins and treasure. So it's kind of similar. But I meant for essential items, you now have a shop. It just feels like you could eventually become almost invincible. The enemies are like bullet sponges nowadays too, but I think that's just to piss you off.
Otherworld

Post by Otherworld »

All in all this is a fantastic remake.

A dark spin on a classic, Capcom has outdone themselves again.

We will surely see RE5 Remake and CVX REmake.
I'm going to town either way.
Annin_Tofu

Post by Annin_Tofu »

Dusk Golem claims DLC may be coming by at least January.