AlchemillaHsospital

An actual remake

Discuss Silent Hill the first game here.
Otherworld

Re: An actual remake

Post by Otherworld »

If Koanmi is happy with the :coin: :coin: :coin: SH2 Remake rakes in, we will see more for sure.

Capcom is blowing it out of the water with their Remakes right now.
I'm going to town either way.
firecrest

Post by firecrest »

For some reason, I always felt that a remake of the original Silent Hill would be more challenging to get right than a Silent Hill 2 remake.

A Silent Hill 2 remake makes sense since the next movie will be based on that game. When the first movie was released, I wondered why Homecoming was made instead of a Silent Hill 1 remake. Homecoming shared a lot of the aesthetics and references from the movie. A Silent Hill 1 remake that ties into the first movie would have been interesting.
Otherworld

Post by Otherworld »

firecrest wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 7:49 pm For some reason, I always felt that a remake of the original Silent Hill would be more challenging to get right than a Silent Hill 2 remake.

A Silent Hill 2 remake makes sense since the next movie will be based on that game. When the first movie was released, I wondered why Homecoming was made instead of a Silent Hill 1 remake. Homecoming shared a lot of the aesthetics and references from the movie. A Silent Hill 1 remake that ties into the first movie would have been interesting.
Homecoming should have been Silent hill the movie game.

SH1 deserves it's own remake IMO.
Annin_Tofu

Post by Annin_Tofu »

I'm not really that fond of the recent Resident Evil remakes. I know that in general, remakes are supposed to be somewhat different, but with the RE2 remake for example, they could have put more effort into the B scenario being more unique. But instead, you just do the same objectives as you do in the first run. It also makes no sense for both characters to see the same scenes playing out. Another thing I hated was how dark every area looked, or that the zombies had a ridiculously good reach. Shooting them just never felt particularly satisfying. More so, it's an annoyance.

Both characters shouldn't see William Birkin's wife dying in the lab, as Claire and Leon were away in other rooms. The same with Mr. X appearing at the fire, or the player going inside the gas station at the beginning. They just lazily repeated things, and the game felt trimmed overall.

I guess I'm beating a dead horse here though, as I mentioned this so many times. I was particularly disappointed with RE3, for multiple reasons. One being the absence of Barry, because the canon ending was always that Barry came and got Jill and Carlos the hell out of Raccoon City with moments to spare. So Capcom just fumbled that soccer ball by removing all of the things that gave RE3 a place in the hearts of so many real RE fans. It was a major stab to the heart in other ways as well, but Capcom got their cash at the end of the day, so screw that, I suppose.
firecrest

Post by firecrest »

What would the community expect from a Silent Hill 1 remake? I assume most people wouldn't be interested in a scene-by-scene recreation of the original PS1 game just with better graphics and a new voice-over.

I can already see the developers changing the Cafe 5to2 scene where Cybil hands over her pistol to Harry. Fans have argued how the scene makes no sense.

Just the other day I was watching Jurassic Park 3 and musing how the Pteranodon in the movie would fit perfectly as a revised Air Screamer. I'm not sure how many fans remember that there's a much larger version of the Air Screamer (no, not the Night Flutter) in the original game. I think only one shows up in the entire game, but it comes with a pack of normal-sized Air Screamers.
Norus_Rebirthed

Post by Norus_Rebirthed »

Shattered Memories aside, I think Harry running around a School with a handgun shooting mumblers (originally Grey Children. But to drum up publicity they issued a story about the shooting bits in a school. A few years after the Scottish paedophile Thomas Hamilton shot up a school during investigation into his activities. And Konami had to change the children to the Mumblers) is going to be problematic.
Silent Hill 2 remake has incredibly realistic Nurse designs from the trailer.
Stick with the original. It got away with so much that if they tried a ground up remake of Silent Hill. It'd just be an entirely different game.
Not a problem! You should always go forward. But yeah, if they ever try another remake of Silent Hill. I don't think they'd include the School. You know how some people would take that.
Plus Shattered Memories still exists somewhere.
Last edited by Norus_Rebirthed on Mon Jun 19, 2023 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
firecrest

Post by firecrest »

That's a good point, Norus. The developers would get in trouble if they added something that even remotely resembles school-shooting. Konami would be sued.

Midwich Elementary is rather integral to Alessa's childhood, though. You brought up Shattered Memories..., so maybe Harry needs to rely on stealth at Midwich with a puzzle-focused gameplay? It would make sense from the narrative as Alessa likely tried to stay away from her peers as much as possible. There is the Split Head battle, of course. The developers may need to be creative there.
Norus_Rebirthed

Post by Norus_Rebirthed »

firecrest wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 10:45 pm That's a good point, Norus. The developers would get in trouble if they added something that even remotely resembles school-shooting. Konami would be sued.

Midwich Elementary is rather integral to Alessa's childhood, though. You brought up Shattered Memories..., so maybe Harry needs to rely on stealth at Midwich with a puzzle-focused gameplay? It would make sense from the narrative as Alessa likely tried to stay away from her peers as much as possible. There is the Split Head battle, of course. The developers may need to be creative there.
A Silent Hill game that has stealth avoidance tactics as well as gun battles for bosses would be interesting.
Of course I'd rather they just carried on and made new different Silent Hill stuff. Except skateboards. Actually pick up controllers stuff!
Otherworld

Post by Otherworld »

Having a remake of SH1 without the school seems like a baffling decision if you ask me.

There are thousands of things in videos games that people can sue over. Having Harry in MIdwich is essential to a remake. I mean, SH1 remake would be nothing like an Active Shooter or Hatred video game.
Last edited by Otherworld on Mon Jun 19, 2023 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Annin_Tofu

Post by Annin_Tofu »

Some of these horror games, I swear. They make you run back to places you were ages ago. :halo:

When you drain the water...

The rubber ball tediously...

Goes ALL the way to the bottom. :twisted:

Good exercise, though. :mrgreen: