YITT

Should I even bother getting this?

Post by YITT on Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:24 am

Voyager wrote:Silent Hill HD Collection is fine now with the patches. Silent Hill 2 and 3 work great. Although it isn't as refined as is the PS2, Xbox and PC versions of the games. Most of the differences will pass unoticed especially to people new to the games, but some things will stand out, like the bad rendering of the water in Silent Hill 2 or less amount of fog through both games, and the existence of one random critic bug concerning the loading of textures in SH2. But the differences of this version appart from those I mentioned are negligible. Also some of the voices were changed in SH3, and a new dub was provided as optional for SH2.

Also Silent Hill HD Collection is in HD, so the world is generally more detailed and more beautiful.

All and all it is almost as good as the other versions of the games, and is perfectly playable and enjoyable if wish to play it.

Thanks for a refreshing voice of reason throughout the dramatics. I am a bit bothered that people are spending this amount of energy complaining about minor graphical/performance issues when (in my opinion) Silent Hill 2 is one of my favorite games of all time because of the story and its outside the box presentation and undertones. I couldn't care less if the background to the parking lot is different or the ground is missing grainy textures. That's not why I'm playing this amazing game.

That people are focusing on these aspects of a game like Silent Hill borders on making me angry. I actually sat through a fair portion of an hour long YouTube review where the Twin Perfect reviewers went on about things like textures and cut scene aspect ratios. And people go on to talk about 'metallic' running gasps. And after reading about these supposedly horrific changes in the game, I went on to view/listen to examples of the abominations.. and was left thinking "..that's it? That didn't seem bad at all!".

After warily reading articles and watching videos/photos of the HD remake (I really just care about getting SH2 again), I am ready to put down 25 dollars to buy the PS3 HD Collection. Because what I love in Silent Hill 2 has seen absolutely no change.

But fog has, I guess. :roll:

Otherworld

I'm going to town either way ...

Post by Otherworld on Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:32 pm

FYI - Buyer Beware ....

Just an FYI that some PS3 consoles have a hard time running this game smoothly. I really do not know why, and there have been complaints from both FAT and SLIM owners alike.

I have played the title myself and I have been one of the lucky ones. But some have reported and I have seen first hand that, for whatever reason, on some consoles the game slows down to a crawl and crashes sometimes.

If you want to purchase the game go right ahead, but you should have all of the knowledge about the real flaws that you might encounter before you do.

PEACETALKER

Post by PEACETALKER on Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:13 am

Such a damn shame
From what I recall, had Alessa successfully spread the crest throughout the town, the God would've been obliterated, or warded off. Instead Harry stepped in post-God-birth and murderized the shit out of the God. - NarooN

clips7

MiNd...ExPaNsIoN...

Post by clips7 on Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:16 am

Y'know, years ago when i bought my son a gamecube i purchased this game that had a ton of old school games on it...(Gauntlet, Dig-Dug,Joust Galaga..etc) and all of those games played perfectly just like their arcade counterparts. Now granted those games aren't as technically sound as the SH games we're talking about, but Konami really needs their a$$ whooped for releasing that collection in the manner that they did.....just really sloppy.

I'm glad i've held on to the originals, my fat ps2 is making all kinds of noises when it plays games, but i'm still able to play those original games with no issues. The only thing great about the HD collection was the cover itself which looked kinda cool.
Knowledge, Wisdom and Understanding....these are the basic fundamentals of life....

If you can't amaze them with brilliance, baffle them with bulls**t...

jam6i

Post by jam6i on Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:27 pm

The cover of the HD Collection is extremely cool and also extremely misleading:

I have a feeling this cover was used to push copies of a bad product. At least on my part, I originally made the purchase based mostly on the cover, since I already knew the games themselves. Most of my purchase was for the cover, not the game.

I sometimes wonder how many people bought it for the same reason. Because shit, the cover is extremely misleading as to what the product actually is, which is a buggy and broken disaster. Had I even knew how bad it was, I sure as hell would not have given Konami my money. They didn't deserve a single penny from this trash, and i wonder if Konami knew what was happening and put together a visually compelling front cover to push copies out the door.

You know, if Ubisoft were in charge of the HD Collection, they would have just slapped a day one review embargo like they did with Unity. Gotta push those copies before people actually know what they are buying!

I played through SH2, and it was awful.

I never finished SH3 because it kept randomly crashing. I never even made it to the hospital and such because of how bad the crashes were (as well as I got pissed off and stopped trying to finish it).

The HD Collection is one of the few games I have absolutely zero desire to ever bother finishing. I mean, I even cared enough about RE6 to at least finish all 4 campaigns, even though i was having absolutely no fun playing it and returned it 30 minutes after completing it.

I cared more about RE6 than the HD Collection. That says a lot.
There was a SIGNATURE here. It's gone now.

PEACETALKER

Post by PEACETALKER on Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:16 am

clips7 wrote:Y'know, years ago when i bought my son a gamecube i purchased this game that had a ton of old school games on it...(Gauntlet, Dig-Dug,Joust Galaga..etc) and all of those games played perfectly just like their arcade counterparts. Now granted those games aren't as technically sound as the SH games we're talking about, but Konami really needs their a$$ whooped for releasing that collection in the manner that they did.....just really sloppy.

I'm glad i've held on to the originals, my fat ps2 is making all kinds of noises when it plays games, but i'm still able to play those original games with no issues. The only thing great about the HD collection was the cover itself which looked kinda cool.

It just was so poorly done. I don't understand how any company could put those through, Silent Hill or not.
From what I recall, had Alessa successfully spread the crest throughout the town, the God would've been obliterated, or warded off. Instead Harry stepped in post-God-birth and murderized the shit out of the God. - NarooN

PMS_Akali

Post by PMS_Akali on Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:33 pm

It felt basically like getting scammed. After they had my hard earned cash they finally decided to admit that they didn't even have the finished game code. That would be an interesting selling point.

"Have you ever wanted to play a downgraded beta version instead?"

Probably wouldn't have sold many copies.

Mr_Dante

I'm living in Hong Kong! 香港

Post by Mr_Dante on Sun Dec 25, 2016 3:06 am

I still haven't got around to buying it yet but the patch does seem to make the PS3 versions playable.
My PS2 started scratching some of my disks (none of Silent Hill thankfully) so I stopped using it at the risk of damaging other disks.
Image 哎呀!

Kurosawa

Post by Kurosawa on Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:11 am

The PS3 version is somewhat playable, it has it's issues but rarely does it actually crash since it has been patched.

Wilsden Hills

...#*%...!$@#<...

Post by Wilsden Hills on Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:13 am

Well fwiw I'm glad to point out that the game is entirely playable on X360, there's a bit of loading lag on 2 when you enter a new area but certainly not gamebreaking or even particularly annoying. SH3 plays beautifully and ooks good enough to eat, just a shame about those damn voices, but if you ain't played the originals you won't know or care. If you only have a PS3 or 360 then basically it's a great little package, don't be put off by the opinions of others, just buy it. My PS2 isn't compatible with my 720p HDTV, rendering it useless so that isn't an option (anyone wanna buy Shatturd Memories or Origins?), thankfully my old xbox looks delicious so of course the HD remake suffers badly in comparison (SH2), but still. I've been hitting the HD version hard of late, now just need this b@$t@rd 10 star business on 2 for 100% achievement completion, it's frustrating but never anything less than a joyful Silent Hill experience.
No-one can judge you baby, they don't live your life....

Otherworld

Post by Otherworld on Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:07 am

I wonder if anyone has played this on Playstation Now

Wilsden Hills

...#*%...!$@#<...

Post by Wilsden Hills on Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:36 am

Dunno mate, but that is the most disappointing version of Where's Wally? I've ever 'played' :lol:

Roughly on topic, I was surprised to see it receive considerable support for back-compat on the microsoft forums. 15,000 votes there or thereabouts, and a lot of love, which I guess backs up the theory that if you haven't played the original masterpieces these versions stand out as-is. I'd stop way short of condoning the botch-job they did, but obviously this did it's thing with enough people. It's not like you'll ever read anything positive about it in reviews, youtube etc, so it's nice to see plenty of folk form their own opinions, presumably because the games fundamentally are that good.

I'd love it to be added to the BC catalogue, months would pass by in a blissful screenshot-taking haze. Maybe with the sound down on 3 so those godawful voices don't upset me equilibrium too much (oh and so I could use the unlimited sub without sending my speakers into meltdown).

Otherworld

Post by Otherworld on Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:21 am

Sorry about that lol.

From what I recall, the HD collection woudl have never been able to really cpature the magic of the originals because Konami did not have the "gold' of either game.

So what you get in the HD collection is the unfinished versions of each game. Hence all of the glitches etc that you have to deal with.
Last edited by Otherworld on Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:26 pm.

Tabris

Post by Tabris on Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:34 am

Otherworld wrote:From what I recall, the HD collection woudl have never been able to really cpature the magic of the originals because Konami did not have the "gold' of either game.

Yea, isn't there just so much to love about that company? They show such a beautiful neglect for their franchises, they lose their own fucking games.

Otherworld

Post by Otherworld on Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:29 pm

Tabris wrote:
Otherworld wrote:From what I recall, the HD collection woudl have never been able to really cpature the magic of the originals because Konami did not have the "gold' of either game.

Yea, isn't there just so much to love about that company? They show such a beautiful neglect for their franchises, they lose their own fucking games.

Lol... yup. They are so worried about others using their IP's even though they don't give a fuck about them in the 1st place....

Wilsden Hills

...#*%...!$@#<...

Post by Wilsden Hills on Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:35 am

As a footnote to my previous opinions / comments on the HD edition, it seems you can forget about the green hyper spray, on 360 at least, Finally achieved 10 stars yesterday, duly proceeded to restartt and go hit the spray, only for the game to crash when the achievements tried to ping in. No worries, I checked and the cheevos were there, 100% completion achieved, okay try again. However, simply trying to start a new game after loading the previous 10 star results screen also causes the game (and machine) to crash. WTF? Well, the coffin lid was missing a few nails, but this just produced and banged them all in. Ah well, at least I'm now inspired to try the whole shebang again on the xbox none version, having proved to myself that 10 stars is actually doable. Just not really on the HD version. And all told that's no great surprise I guess.

Otherworld

Post by Otherworld on Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:32 am

Like a big kick to the nuts...... Thanks Konami

Previous

Return to Silent Hill HD Collection