WalterisHere

Raptor Jesus

A Japanese Silent Hill film. Anybody else want this?

Post by WalterisHere on Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:42 am

I want the japanese to make a Silent Hill film. I always find japanese horror much more smarter, and planned out, than american horror. I also think they could do justice to the SH franchise, although, a japanese horror film wont really make it mainstream here in America, but I dont mind watching it through torrent or netflix and reading subtitles, I do this all the time because I cant stand a lot of American remakes of Japanese horror films, or american horror films in general.

Lets face it, the Japanese are the best in the horror genre, as far as making it disturbing. Or do you guys think otherwise? Im interested in seeing how many of you want this.

Also, before I get bashed, I think if they ever did make a SH film in japan, it should be based on SH 4: The Room. Thats the most japanese themed one I can think of.
"You know, a long time ago being crazy meant something. Nowadays everybody's crazy." - Charlie Manson

Floodclaw

Post by Floodclaw on Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:53 am

It'd be cool, although it'd be weird seeing a Silent Hill story with all Asian actors if they go that route.

WalterisHere

Raptor Jesus

Post by WalterisHere on Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:55 am

Floodclaw wrote:It'd be cool, although it'd be weird seeing a Silent Hill story with all Asian actors if they go that route.

True, the only asian looking character in SH4 would have to be Henry, mostly only because of his hairstyle though.
"You know, a long time ago being crazy meant something. Nowadays everybody's crazy." - Charlie Manson

devil hunter

Ghost

Post by devil hunter on Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:57 am

I don't think it matters who makes it. The important thing is if the person knows how to make it.

Both american and japanese can create some pretty good stuff and some pretty bad stuff.

WalterisHere

Raptor Jesus

Post by WalterisHere on Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:03 am

devil hunter wrote:I don't think it matters who makes it. The important thing is if the person knows how to make it.

Both american and japanese can create some pretty good stuff and some pretty bad stuff.

True, but a lot of american horror films are about gore, or slasher flicks, its rare to find a good, just creepy film without anyone being tortured to death. SH has never been a JUMP kind of horror. But more of a "Okay, were going to show you whats coming, you know their coming, you just have to wait" kind of thing. A lot of japanese horror flicks I have seen are good in this element.

devil hunter

Ghost

Post by devil hunter on Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:06 am

WalterisHere wrote:
devil hunter wrote:I don't think it matters who makes it. The important thing is if the person knows how to make it.

True, but a lot of american horror films are about gore, or slasher flicks, its rare to find a good, just creepy film without anyone being tortured to death. SH has never been a JUMP kind of horror. But more of a "Okay, were going to show you whats coming, you know their coming, you just have to wait" kind of thing. A lot of japanese horror flicks I have seen are good in this element.

True, but that's how it is mostly now days, even some japanese movies are like that. SH games were influenced by western horror movies that are not like that at all. A lot of older movies are like that, creepy films without much gore etc. (though there are a lot of movies with lots of gore too).

keeps

dont like fandoms

Post by keeps on Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:19 am

There's so many good movies from around the world that are relevant to SH themes that it makes the whole desire unnecessarily small-minded I think.
Last edited by keeps on Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:49 pm.

TheRedNurse

Post by TheRedNurse on Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:32 am

Yeah I'd like to see a Japanese version of SH4, I love Asian horror.
Although I do agree with what Floodclaw said.
Do you not know that we will judge angels? Do you not know that the saints will judge the world?

Next Fear

Pretentious? Moi??

Post by Next Fear on Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:00 pm

I'd like to see Guillermo del Toro make a Silent Hill movie, that's what I'd like.

Yuki

Post by Yuki on Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:59 pm

WalterisHere wrote:
Floodclaw wrote:It'd be cool, although it'd be weird seeing a Silent Hill story with all Asian actors if they go that route.

True, the only asian looking character in SH4 would have to be Henry, mostly only because of his hairstyle though.

How is his hair even remotely "Asian"? It's just a tad longer in front than it is in back. My hairstyle's quite similar; would I look better Asian?

WalterisHere wrote:I want the japanese to make a Silent Hill film. I always find japanese horror much more smarter, and planned out, than american horror. I also think they could do justice to the SH franchise, although, a japanese horror film wont really make it mainstream here in America, but I dont mind watching it through torrent or netflix and reading subtitles, I do this all the time because I cant stand a lot of American remakes of Japanese horror films, or american horror films in general.

Lets face it, the Japanese are the best in the horror genre, as far as making it disturbing. Or do you guys think otherwise? Im interested in seeing how many of you want this.

Also, before I get bashed, I think if they ever did make a SH film in japan, it should be based on SH 4: The Room. Thats the most japanese themed one I can think of.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that this is rather racist. You can go ahead and like the aesthetics of Japanese horror more--I haven't seen enough horror movies to say either way--but I take major umbrage with you saying American horror is not good. The Shining, Alien, The Exorcist, even the first Silent Hill film all would like to have a word with you.

WalterisHere

Raptor Jesus

Post by WalterisHere on Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:34 pm

Yuki wrote:
WalterisHere wrote:

How is his hair even remotely "Asian"? It's just a tad longer in front than it is in back. My hairstyle's quite similar; would I look better Asian?

WalterisHere wrote:I want the japanese to make a Silent Hill film. I always find japanese horror much more smarter, and planned out, than american horror. I also think they could do justice to the SH franchise, although, a japanese horror film wont really make it mainstream here in America, but I dont mind watching it through torrent or netflix and reading subtitles, I do this all the time because I cant stand a lot of American remakes of Japanese horror films, or american horror films in general.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that this is rather racist. You can go ahead and like the aesthetics of Japanese horror more--I haven't seen enough horror movies to say either way--but I take major umbrage with you saying American horror is not good. The Shining, Alien, The Exorcist, even the first Silent Hill film all would like to have a word with you.

No, but that hairstyle is used a lot in Anime's, and SH4 was based upon Japanese horror, which was the point I was trying to make. To say that I am being racist, is being racist. To say that its racist, when I never offended any race, shows how ignorant your being right now. I never said all American Horror is bad, I dont like the Exorcist, we ARE allowed to have an opinion, correct?

I said that most American Horror I do not enjoy, not all. I love The Shining, and Jacobs Ladder, but nowadays, those are rare to find. I enjoy Psychological horror a lot more than slasher films, or gore fests. Yes, there are good American Psychological horror films, but I enjoy the Japanese Horror films a lot more. I just feel the whole Japanese culture is much more scary than American culture, from ghost stories and what not. I am Japanese, I am 5 races, and japanese is one of my major races, I have never discriminated against the Japanese, and American is not a race, so how was I, for one second, being racist? I take offense for you to even say I am racist, specially since I think racists are disgusting. It's all opinion, personally, I would enjoy a Japanese SH movie, just as much as I would enjoy seeing another Japanese development company take their chances on a future SH game.

I was never being racist, or saying that all American films are bad, or all Japanese films are good.

Q. Valintyne

Unofficial Drawception Champion of SHC

Post by Q. Valintyne on Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:18 pm

"You're allowed to have an opinion. But yours is wrong." ;)

Silent Hill is American. It (was) Japan's homage to western horror (while maintaining their cultural horror aspects as well). Silent Hill takes place in an Americanized setting. Shepherd's Glen and Ashfield are near Silent Hill. The characters are meant to reflect that. What happens in the "fog world" is there. It's a separate place (but I'm not saying a different reality/plane/etc.; that's a whole other debate). Keep in mind that SH4 wasn't even supposed to be a Silent Hill. Henry's haircut is definitely not Asian in any way. Would it be fair to call Murphy's haircut Asian? They're virtually the same (with very few differences).

I bet the only reason you mentioned The Shining and Jacob's Ladder is because they're obvious, documented influences on the Team Silent games. There are other American horror films that are pretty damn good, too.

Japan does not shit gold. Not always.

Their ghost stories and urban legends are hits and misses... just like ours. Like these, for example. I don't find these things to be scary at all... I'm hard to scare and unnerve, anyway.

You distinctly wanted different opinions... now you're openly denying the possibility that others think differently.

WalterisHere

Raptor Jesus

Post by WalterisHere on Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:27 pm

Q. Valintyne wrote:"You're allowed to have an opinion. But yours is wrong." ;)

Silent Hill is American. It (was) Japan's homage to western horror (while maintaining their cultural horror aspects as well). Silent Hill takes place in an Americanized setting. Shepherd's Glen and Ashfield are near Silent Hill. The characters are meant to reflect that. What happens in the "fog world" is there. It's a separate place (but I'm not saying a different reality/plane/etc.; that's a whole other debate). Keep in mind that SH4 wasn't even supposed to be a Silent Hill. Henry's haircut is definitely not Asian in any way. Would it be fair to call Murphy's haircut Asian? They're virtually the same (with very few differences).

I bet the only reason you mentioned The Shining and Jacob's Ladder is because they're obvious, documented influences on the Team Silent games. There are other American horror films that are pretty damn good, too.

Japan does not shit gold. Not always.

Their ghost stories and urban legends are hits and misses... just like ours. Like these, for example. I don't find these things to be scary at all... I'm hard to scare and unnerve, anyway.

You distinctly wanted different opinions... now you're openly denying the possibility that others think differently.

Me? I have never said their opinion was wrong, but to say I am a racist for my opinion was a bit out of line. Yes, I know Silent Hill was based upon western horror, but Silent Hill 4 was based on Japanese horror, the devs even said they wanted to make it more close to Japanese lore than American, which is why it was so different from the past Silent Hill games. Also, apologies for saying it looked asian lol, my main point was that, since SH4 was more closer to Japanese mythology than the others, is why I think it could of worked if a Japanese company did make a movie on it. Also yes, I like other American horror, but most Psychological, for example, I really enjoyed the first few Hellraiser movies. Also, I mention The Shining due to the fact he listed it in the movies he liked from America, that I, also enjoyed. Also this was a SH topic, on a SH forum, so Jacobs Ladder popped in my head as well.

Never once did I say they shit gold. Also I understand that Japan makes many mistakes, but I enjoyed Japanese lore a lot more than American, which is the main reason why I thought it would be interesting to see a Japanese film adaption of SH, is that so much to ask? Lastly, everyone can have an opinion, and like any opinion, I will debate with it. Its fantasy to think that your opinion is just going to be accepted and not challenged, but no need to say my opinion was offensive as in being racist.

Q. Valintyne

Unofficial Drawception Champion of SHC

Post by Q. Valintyne on Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:54 pm

In my post, I never once used the word "race" or "racist" so....

WalterisHere

Raptor Jesus

Post by WalterisHere on Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:56 pm

Q. Valintyne wrote:In my post, I never once used the word "race" or "racist" so....

Sorry, I talk in general a lot. I meant the man who did call me a racist, well, said that I was being racist, was the man I was referring to. Apologies.

PinentidHead

An old Silent Hill fan old

Post by PinentidHead on Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:28 pm

I like Japanese horror movies a lot, and is very rare to find a good American one. Most of American horror movies are based on Japanese originals. There is also some good Korean stories.

I just found that "The Hunger Games" is based on an old Japanese movie too. I'll try to find it.

I find something: http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2012/03/the-hunger-games-a-japanese-original/
The movie is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_Royale_(film)

Is not directly related to this topic, but illustrates that if we search for old sources of the current stories, we'll probably find.

devil hunter

Ghost

Post by devil hunter on Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:17 am

Stuff like japanese horror rules and american sucks makes me sad. I understand that someone prefers japanese but saying that american horror sucks is just D:. There are A LOT of great american horror movies and saying that "most of american horror movies are based on japanese originals" is just plain wrong.

Yes, SH 4 was more about asian horror but it still had inspiration from american horror: 1408, Event Horizon etc.

WalterisHere

Raptor Jesus

Post by WalterisHere on Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:30 am

devil hunter wrote:Stuff like japanese horror rules and american sucks makes me sad. I understand that someone prefers japanese but saying that american horror sucks is just D:. There are A LOT of great american horror movies and saying that "most of american horror movies are based on japanese originals" is just plain wrong.

Yes, SH 4 was more about asian horror but it still had inspiration from american horror: 1408, Event Horizon etc.

1408 was released after SH4...how is that even possible?

devil hunter

Ghost

Post by devil hunter on Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:32 am

WalterisHere wrote:
devil hunter wrote:Stuff like japanese horror rules and american sucks makes me sad. I understand that someone prefers japanese but saying that american horror sucks is just D:. There are A LOT of great american horror movies and saying that "most of american horror movies are based on japanese originals" is just plain wrong.

1408 was released after SH4...how is that even possible?

The movie was based on the novel.

btw. japanese horror films can get pretty gory too,

Some american slasher movies don't have much gore.

PinentidHead

An old Silent Hill fan old

Post by PinentidHead on Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:29 am

There is a lot of situations in SH games that I feel like in a Kurosawa movie!

My dad buy a DVD with some short Japanese horror movies of 50-60 decades. You know what: A LOT of ideas that are in 80-90-2000-today occidental horror movies (I think occidental is a better definition than American). Not always you'll see a Japanese script, but they create the basic elements for us - they did it!

But I don't think is a bad thing for us. Bring a Japanese idea is not easy, the movies are strange for us (can be boring). Directors got a hard job to insert those ideas in our context. And when is well done, is a spectacular movie (or game). Unfortunately, there is only a few with this capability and a lot that make the copy, and the copy of the copy... blargh!

Next

Return to Silent Hill: Revelation (Motion Picture)