Give or get help if you're stuck on a section of one of the games.
Forum rules
Remember to make your thread titles as clear as possible and put the game title in the subject of your help thread when posting!
Examples: "SH2 Cockroach Room" or "SH4 Walter Boss"

Augophthalmoses

Sarcasmoses

SH1: Unlocking the Katana

Post by Augophthalmoses on Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:45 pm

Not really so much of a help topic as it is a confirmation topic, but has anybody here actually figured out the precise way to unlock the Katana in this game?

I ask because some user on GameFAQs claims to have been able to unlock it on his first playthrough and so far this is the only case I've heard of somebody obtaining it this way. He says he was playing this game using an emulator.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/198641-s ... Questrider

There's his result screen.
http://i56.tinypic.com/302v3gx.jpg

I've heard multiple ways to unlock it such as beating the game on Hard Mode, getting the Bad+ ending, getting a Good/Good+ ending on one game then a Bad/Bad+ ending on the next.

I tried all these methods and the Good/Good+, Bad/Bad+ method is the only one that works for me. I played my game on PSP if that makes any difference.

So does anybody know for certain if this is the only way to do it?
boo

Solitary Poet

On a cold and silent hill...

Post by Solitary Poet on Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:02 pm

Shouldn't this be posted in the SH1 forum section?

Augophthalmoses

Sarcasmoses

Post by Augophthalmoses on Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:04 pm

*shrugs* Maybe. But I figured since it was about unlocking the Katana it may fall under the "Help" category.
boo

Solitary Poet

On a cold and silent hill...

Post by Solitary Poet on Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:42 pm

Verisimilitudo wrote:*shrugs* Maybe. But I figured since it was about unlocking the Katana it may fall under the "Help" category.

Okay, that makes sense.

Wooden Plank

GRASS STARTER POGEYMEN AND RE4.

Post by Wooden Plank on Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:19 am

To unlock the Katana you Must;
1. Get a good ending.
2. On your next playthrough, get a bad ending.
3. The katana is inside the previously locked room in the 'Dog House.'
I love the Silent Hill Series. The new games did nothing wrong whatsoever, they were developed well, and did things different. I believe that Silent Hill Downpour will make all Silent Hill fans happy. Team Silent doesn't exist, but their series does.

Naroon

Pillman's got a gun!

Post by Naroon on Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:22 am

Yeah, but as shown in the screenshot above, he got the katana on his first playthrough.

Also people have done those steps before and still didn't get the katana. I know, because I'm one of them.

Augophthalmoses

Sarcasmoses

Post by Augophthalmoses on Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:52 am

I tried the Good/Good+ ending then Bad/Bad+ ending and that was the only way I've been able to unlock katana thus far. I posted all the screencaps I had doing the trial runs in the topic I linked to but I'll post them here.

Good+ first time:
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q35/ ... GA0078.jpg
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q35/ ... GA0076.jpg

Bad+ the second time:
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q35/ ... GA0080.jpg
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q35/ ... GA0082.jpg

I was playing on my PSP and erased all my save files before doing these katana runs. The reason why I deleted them is because on my very first test run it seems that even if you select "New Game" from the title screen instead of choosing "Next Fear" any previously unlocked weapons still carry over to that game.

That Epic Win guy claims he got it on his first playthrough on Easy mode getting the Good+ ending. I tried that theory on my PSP making sure there wasn't any previous saves on the memory card yet I still didn't get the katana. For all I know it could be some troll making something up but at this point who the hell knows?

Here's the screenshot for that:
http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/7227/imga0084.jpg
http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/8720/imga0087.jpg

I'm just wondering if anybody else here has managed to unlock the katana on their first run. I'm at the point where I'm just ready to say to hell with it.
boo

Wooden Plank

Post by Wooden Plank on Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:53 pm

NarooN wrote:Yeah, but as shown in the screenshot above, he got the katana on his first playthrough.

Also people have done those steps before and still didn't get the katana. I know, because I'm one of them.

Did you overwrite your save file? I did that and boom, I get a kickass Japanese sword.
I love the Silent Hill Series. The new games did nothing wrong whatsoever, they were developed well, and did things different. I believe that Silent Hill Downpour will make all Silent Hill fans happy. Team Silent doesn't exist, but their series does.

Naroon

Pillman's got a gun!

Post by Naroon on Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:35 pm

I stopped caring a long time ago, lol. Fuck the katana and the katana-holder it rode in on.

Wooden Plank

Post by Wooden Plank on Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:37 pm

NarooN wrote:I stopped caring a long time ago, lol. Fuck the katana and the katana-holder it rode in on.

The katana works wonders for nurses, doctors, dogs, sewer things, rompers, larvae, possessed police officers, children and transparent children.

Well, I got it after;

1: Good+
2: UFO
3: Bad+

I guess, get the endings in that order, then, if nothing happens please post.
Last edited by Wooden Plank on Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:29 pm.

Naroon

Pillman's got a gun!

Post by Naroon on Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:24 pm

Yeah, but so does just about everything else, lol.

Asterion

The Candy Coloured Clown

Post by Asterion on Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:14 pm

The best thing about the Katana is using it to move down the street - like you're rowing a boat. ;)

Who knows what unpredictable elements could be added into the save-game system by using an emulator - a change in a single byte of data might have created this sort of thing.

Verisimilitudo wrote:For all I know it could be some troll making something up but at this point who the hell knows?
Obviously, this is a serious possibility.

LOTO

Post by LOTO on Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:54 pm

I actually unlocked the katana on my first playthrough. I got the Good ending. The main catch here is I didn't save at any point.

Naroon

Pillman's got a gun!

Post by Naroon on Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:28 pm

It amazes me (really, it does) how after all these years, there's still no set-in-stone formula to get the Katana. I got it last time I played on the second playthrough, but dunno what I did. I got Bad+ first and then got either Good or Good+, don't remember. I still haven't tried it out yet, I guess I'll do that the next time I play through it.

WwAndi

Post by WwAndi on Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:25 am

i didnt even know that there was a kitana in the game, maybe next time i play the first game i will try and get it

Blustarjelly

Post by Blustarjelly on Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:31 pm

The guides My mom bought both say that you unlock it after getting 100 star final score ( all the big and tiny stars) which puts a key in your inventory on the next new fear game for that door. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2ytnQa-eBg This video shows it unlocked in his results screen along with everything else

Naroon

Pillman's got a gun!

Post by Naroon on Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:31 pm

I don't think that's it. I never got a 10 star run, yet I got the katana anyway.

Blustarjelly

Post by Blustarjelly on Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:29 pm

hm...I never got the Katana now that i think on it, and Ive gotten all the endings you can get minus the ufo ending due to forgetting to use the darned channeling stone.

SLDT

Post by SLDT on Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:17 pm

Perhaps this excerpt from the game's official website will help clear things up:

"After the third play, in the Japanese room of a private downtown residence that has a doghouse. You can take an attacking stance while moving. Pushing the circle button continuously swings the Japanese Sword (katana) up and down. Power is great."

Source: http://www.konami.jp/gs/game/vx131/surv/arms2_e.html

schlaufuchsMIKE

Smartass >:)

Post by schlaufuchsMIKE on Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:16 pm

SLDT wrote:Perhaps this excerpt from the game's official website will help clear things up:

"After the third play, in the Japanese room of a private downtown residence that has a doghouse. You can take an attacking stance while moving. Pushing the circle button continuously swings the Japanese Sword (katana) up and down. Power is great."

Source: http://www.konami.jp/gs/game/vx131/surv/arms2_e.html

I played through the game before I got the katana - I don't think that's it. It did seem like I might of got it after a combination of the bad endings, but I can't say for sure. That was a long time ago.

EDIT: I think the circumstance was that I used the advice of a magazine guide, which was to get a certain bad ending, and when it didn't work, I played through and got the other bad ending. Or something like that.
"First day off the sauce and somehow I'd still ended up in the gutter." ~ Max Payne

Return to Silent Hill Game Help