Forum for all other Silent Hill-related discussion.

nur_ein_tier

SHC Admin

Silent Hill and Alejandro Jodorowsky

Post by nur_ein_tier on Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:46 am

Jodorowsky's films are mentioned in Lost Memories as an inspiration, but I still don't see anything obvious with El Topo, which is my favorite one of his movies. I;ll watch it again soon though. In the meantime:

The Holy Mountain

There are a lot of images representing a duality, which is a common theme in various Silent Hill games. Occultism is especially a theme in The Holy Mountain, which also has a lot more obvious symbolism than Jodorowsky's other films. The flayed lambs at the beginning bring to mind a lot of the bodies in the first Silent Hill.

The only very obvious visual quote from this movie that shows up in a Silent Hill games involves the nine immortals, who are shown naked and in a rotating round room. This is very much like the bodies at the end of SH4, where you get the spears. Walter's black coat is also similar to what Jodorowsky's character is wearing.

There are various images of people in giant symbols, one of which sort of resembles the crest in SH1.

Much has been made of the "vaginal imagery" in some of the games (the openings in the carousel and end area of Silent Hill 3; the fleshlike doors in SH: Homecoming). It is a oval-shaped slit, or is it really intended to represent a vagina? The image above isn't as fleshlike as the similar openings in the game, but look at the center area. In the film, the woman is using a large wandlike thing to sexually stimulate the "vagina."

Santa Sangre
Santa Sangre is a really weird story about a boy and his mother, more or less, though his father and his new girlfriend (the circus tattooed lady) are also in there. There are a lot of Freudian things going on, and most of it takes place in a circus environment. In Lost Memories, it is stated that the mother/cult leader was an inspiration for Claudia. Taking this a bit further, in the Making of SH3, one of the ideas for Claudia was also a heavily tattooed woman, so I wonder if the tattooed lady in this may also have been considered as a visual inspiration for Claudia. The mother first appears dressed in robes, the leader of a weird religion that follows a female saint.

The girl in white in the church resembles Alessa in white at the end of SH1.

There are paintings telling the story of the female saint whom the cultists worship around the church (which also contains a pool supposedly filled with her blood). This brings to mind the paintings in the SH3 chapel.
ImageImageImage

Iron Maiden

Post by Iron Maiden on Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:41 am

Interesting.
Thanks for sharing. :D

nur_ein_tier

SHC Admin

Post by nur_ein_tier on Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:16 am

I discuss the mechanical vagina aspect a bit more in the podcast: http://alchemillahospital.net/alchemill ... podcast-4/
ImageImageImage

JulianH

Post by JulianH on Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:47 am

Great post nur. You know your art!

Return to Silent Hill General Discussion