Salah Talih

After thinking about it... SM is brilliant!

Post by Salah Talih on Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:30 am

Good Day :D

I know that many people have hated that game, but I've recently finished it for the third time, and I think it's brilliant!

Mostly because the re-imagining of this game, happens in the mind of Cheryl. The poor little girl still thinks that her Dad is alive, she still got that big hope within her. But Dr. Kaufmann goes into her mind, exploring her mind, and later on reveales the truth to Cheryl.

That storyline is built solidly, the character's design is okay, and the town's design is amazing!

Though, I still think that the PSP version is better than the PS2 port, because of the amazing visuals the PSP one has.

The game could have been better, if it had some more creatures, more defensive moves, (I don't mean weapons) and if it was 3rd person, because 2nd person is NOT Silent Hill.

What do you think of SM?
Last edited by Salah Talih on Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:37 am.

Silenthill4life

Post by Silenthill4life on Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:25 am

I really liked it. I loved the therapy sessions, the atmosphere, soundtrack and visual look of the town. It definitely was an aesthetically-pleasing re-imagining of the town.
What I liked most was the interactivity. How the therapy sessions and interactions of your player with the game environment could alter your path to an ending and the character models of the npcs.

What I disliked was the story. I would have preferred it to have been canon with the good ending and in the regular SH universe instead of it being a spin-off following the bad ending. That's only because I just would have liked the game to have added onto the main timeline for the SH universe.

If the plot was for a stand-alone game I would have enjoyed it as it was.

Otherworld

I'm going to town either way ...

Post by Otherworld on Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:17 am

I absolutely loved the story.

PMS_Akali

Post by PMS_Akali on Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:43 pm

I actually like the story more than all the other games past 4. Thought I'd hate it the most, too. If the gameplay was like older games and the design was a little better, this would have been a decent SH in my opinion.

Silenthill4life

Post by Silenthill4life on Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:59 pm

The plot was good for what it was, I just wish they adapted it to fit within the regular SH timeline.

That timeline needs some more meat on the bone in my opinion :P

Salah Talih

Post by Salah Talih on Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:43 am

PMS_Akali wrote:I actually like the story more than all the other games past 4. Thought I'd hate it the most, too. If the gameplay was like older games and the design was a little better, this would have been a decent SH in my opinion.

Oh come on! SH2 has the best plot for a Silent Hill game. Don't under-rate it! Though I agree with what you've said, Climax studios could have done better.

Fur

Post by Fur on Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:52 am

It took me a long time to like it but there are aspects of it I can't tolerate.

Silenthill4life

Post by Silenthill4life on Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:54 am

Fur wrote:It took me a long time to like it but there are aspects of it I can't tolerate.

Is the chase sequences and no combat one of them?

There was originally going to be combat on top of the interactivity (therapy sessions, etc) with the original Cold Heart game.

I did like the added stealth though. I liked how you could hide from those creatures. That made it fun and tense in the right way, especially when they got close to your hiding location lol.

Fur

Post by Fur on Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:59 am

Chase sequences yeah.

Silenthill4life

Post by Silenthill4life on Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:01 am

Fur wrote:Chase sequences yeah.

I hated when those monsters jumped on you and you had to shake them off.
Seriously would it have been so hard to kick one of those annoying little buggers away from you...

Salah Talih

Post by Salah Talih on Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:41 am

Fur wrote:It took me a long time to like it but there are aspects of it I can't tolerate.

Yeah, same here. It took me 3 playthroughs to like it, but then, I started to hate it again when I see the Raw Shocks. :x

Silenthill4life wrote:I did like the added stealth though

Me too! I just wish other Silent Hill games had this. (Imagine James in a toilet hole, hiding from PH) :lol:

Silenthill4life

Post by Silenthill4life on Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:47 am

Salah Talih wrote:
Silenthill4life wrote:I did like the added stealth though

Me too! I just wish other Silent Hill games had this. (Imagine James in a toilet hole, hiding from PH) :lol:

That would have been awesome!

It would have looked so cool if it was with more modern, advanced graphics too. Imagine if they did that in SH HC, instead with Alex hiding from the bogeyman. He does do it at one point (though not very well) but it's in a cutscene.

That would be so intense!

devil hunter

Ghost

Post by devil hunter on Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:05 am

Well, James did hide from PH, remember that apartment cutscene? :lol:

PMS_Akali

Post by PMS_Akali on Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:26 am

Salah Talih wrote:
PMS_Akali wrote:I actually like the story more than all the other games past 4. Thought I'd hate it the most, too. If the gameplay was like older games and the design was a little better, this would have been a decent SH in my opinion.

Oh come on! SH2 has the best plot for a Silent Hill game. Don't under-rate it! Though I agree with what you've said, Climax studios could have done better.

Haha, I meant I like it more than the newer games. Silent Hill 2's story is much better.

Salah Talih

Post by Salah Talih on Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:44 pm

PMS_Akali wrote:
Salah Talih wrote:

Haha, I meant I like it more than the newer games. Silent Hill 2's story is much better.

My apologies, I didn't understand it in the first time. :oops:
Last edited by Salah Talih on Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:17 am.

PMS_Akali

Post by PMS_Akali on Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:40 pm

Salah Talih wrote:
PMS_Akali wrote:
Salah Talih wrote:

My apologies, I didn't understand it in the first time. :oops:

All good, my friend.

Silenthill4life

Post by Silenthill4life on Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:13 am

devil hunter wrote:Well, James did hide from PH, remember that apartment cutscene? :lol:

Oh Yeah

But I meant it as in gameplay not in a cutscene. Like you have the option to hide or stay in the open from PH.

Salah Talih

Post by Salah Talih on Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:35 am

Silenthill4life wrote:
devil hunter wrote:Well, James did hide from PH, remember that apartment cutscene? :lol:

Oh Yeah

But I meant it as in gameplay not in a cutscene. Like you have the option to hide or stay in the open from PH.

That's exactly what I was about to say. It would've been awesome for SH2 to have this.

devil hunter

Ghost

Post by devil hunter on Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:42 am

Yeah I know, I was just kidding :P

Otherworld

I'm going to town either way ...

Post by Otherworld on Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:12 am

Playing the PS2 version of SM. I might be an old fart here but for one reason or another I just prefer the old school controls. Not that there is anything wrong with the Wii controls. My first playthrough was the Wii version.

One thing is for sure, this title definitely deserves multiple playthroughs. I was just waiting to get a reasonably priced PS2 copy as some are listed for over $100.00 USD.

Next

Return to Silent Hill: Shattered Memories