AlchemillaHsospital

question about ripping

Talk about modding Silent Hill 2 here
chimik

question about ripping

Post by chimik »

hey again,

so... I don't really know where to start with this one so I'll provide some context.

I am currently in the process of drafting a 3d animated shortfilm ( i use blender lol) for silent hill 2. I do game analysis content but its in the form of being in the maps/models as an animation rather than showing gameplay footage.

My question is this. Does anyone know where I can start to figure out how to rip Silent Hill 2 models? I'm at a loss currently. i've succesfully managed to rip models from games such as Persona dancing, Bioshock, and other games but Silent Hill 2 has me at a loss currently. Is there a specific extractor/opener for the games file itself so that I can export the 3d files? And then is there something I can use that reads the file models so that I am able to export them via fbx,obj, or anything really that is importable for blender/3dsmax/or any modern 3d software?

Thank you for reading.
chimik

Re: question about ripping

Post by chimik »

Just for further context,

I do have my own purchased copy of silent hill 2 NTSC (the original one, not greatest hits) on the ps2 (got it in a thrift store for like 20 bucks, talk about a score)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

One of the SH234 viewers can rip in some way, but I am out of practice. I am still going through my files to reupload the tools that were at the SH Modifications Yahoo group and other places, but these should be up for now. AlchemillaHospital site is still being transferred.

modding/SH2_3_4_Viewer_0.9a.zip
modding/sh2_3_4_viewer_0.9b.zip
modding/viewer.zip

There are some 3d sites that have some of them also, and I probably have a few characters as OBJ somewhere.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

chimik wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:42 pm Just for further context,

I do have my own purchased copy of silent hill 2 NTSC (the original one, not greatest hits) on the ps2 (got it in a thrift store for like 20 bucks, talk about a score)
Rad! Yeah my dad picked up SH1 in a bargain bin for $4 when it was still almost new, sometime in '99. Best score I recall. XD

Prices have been crazy since, especially after the first movie.
chimik

Post by chimik »

admin wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:07 pm One of the SH234 viewers can rip in some way, but I am out of practice. I am still going through my files to reupload the tools that were at the SH Modifications Yahoo group and other places, but these should be up for now. AlchemillaHospital site is still being transferred.

modding/viewer.zip

There are some 3d sites that have some of them also, and I probably have a few characters as OBJ somewhere.
oh sweet dude, can't wait to see how useful all the info will be when the site gets transferred.
I only learned today that I'm stuck on the first step, that being extracting all the .mgf files that are in their respective data folder so that I am able to use the sh2 model viewers in the first place lol. In any case, I'll stay on the lookout for when the AlchemillaHospital site opens up again so that I can find a decent starting place.
Thank u for reading my posts. Have a good day!
chimik

Post by chimik »

admin wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:31 pm
chimik wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:42 pm Just for further context,

Rad! Yeah my dad picked up SH1 in a bargain bin for $4 when it was still almost new, sometime in '99. Best score I recall. XD

Prices have been crazy since, especially after the first movie.
That's coolio. 99? I was born that year :shock:
I always knew about the name of silent hill, but only until a buddy of mine and I played the second one together a couple months back that I got.... obsessed XD. Ever since then I've been watching content creators like Max Derrat and all sorts of other channels that talk about the game. Reminds me of the time when Dark souls 1 got crazy popular in 2012-ish and I spent all my time watching similar analysis content like a gremlin lol.
chimik

Post by chimik »

chimik wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:30 pm
admin wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:07 pm One of the SH234 viewers can rip in some way, but I am out of practice. I am still going through my files to reupload the tools that were at the SH Modifications Yahoo group and other places, but these should be up for now. AlchemillaHospital site is still being transferred.

modding/viewer.zip

oh sweet dude, can't wait to see how useful all the info will be when the site gets transferred.
I only learned today that I'm stuck on the first step, that being extracting all the .mgf files that are in their respective data folder so that I am able to use the sh2 model viewers in the first place lol. In any case, I'll stay on the lookout for when the AlchemillaHospital site opens up again so that I can find a decent starting place.
Thank u for reading my posts. Have a good day!
Oh snap, "decompiler"
thats the word I was looking for earlier. I gotta find a way to decompile and extract the .mgf files if I want to start using the model viewer
roocker666

Post by roocker666 »

Silent Hill model/level viewers work with PC version, don't use them on PS2 version.

If you want 3D models check this group on Deviantart, We are uploading 3D models from all SH games.
https://www.deviantart.com/xnalara-cust ... ilent-hill
Was I dreaming?
chimik

Post by chimik »

roocker666 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:21 am Silent Hill model/level viewers work with PC version, don't use them on PS2 version.

If you want 3D models check this group on Deviantart, We are uploading 3D models from all SH games.
hey thank you for responding! Means a lot to me.

I'm about to try my hand at using the model viewer on the PC version today (with ur advice lol). How do I decompile the .MGF files from there? I kinda don't really know where to start.
chimik

Post by chimik »

roocker666 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:21 am Silent Hill model/level viewers work with PC version, don't use them on PS2 version.

ook so... nevermind my previous messaage. Completely found out how to do it. Now all thats left is to try out the model viewer lol. Wish me luck :wave: