AlchemillaHsospital

beta monsters textures [restored topic]

Talk about modding SH 1 here
admin
Site Admin

beta monsters textures [restored topic]

Post by admin »

giromancy wrote:Hi guys, i´ve recently realized that there are two textures of Beta monsters left in the NTSC cd version of
the game, if you explore the CD you will find these images with the following names:

Now let's take a closer look. This is a comparison between Orange Child beta texture between Grey Child final texture:
Notice the different skin color, the orange child it resemble more like a human skin, in the left image below, you can see the face has eyes and a different mouth compared with the final texture in the right side. Now another thing is that the beta texture also has completely naked body, in the final texture we can see some kind of ¨belts¨ grabbed in his chest:

Now, if we look the screens from the E3 1998 trailer, we can see a similar monster in wich also has orange skin, and it has eyes and mouth in his face:

But im not quite sure about this because of his head form

In Nowhere, if we turn off the electricity in the Bethor Room and then go to the basement (classroom), we can find three enemies there, but they are different to the final Grey Child we all know, they have eyes and mouth like the orange child beta monster (texture)

So this creature in the basement has a texture after all.

Now let's take a closer look to second creature, this one is the Beta Larval Stalker texture. The only footage we have of him is in the E3 1998 trailer:

Have you ever seen his face?........Here it is:

Now, i wonder if it's possible to add this textures in the final game, it could be interesting to see.

By last, im not quite sure about this one, but it looks like a beta monster texture too, i repeat, im not 100% sure about this texture.

SILENT[891]p00

What do you think guys?
Naroon wrote:Ah yes, I remember the reasoning they had for changing the textures. Basically the Orange/Grey Child creatures got changed around because some committee or something was butthurt that the creature looked too "child-like" (derp), so they removed the eyes and changed the color of the creature to dispel those concerns. Although I think this censorship was only done in the NTSC-U/C version, correct me if I'm wrong?

Anyway, the black basement creature looks that way because it's essentially a "ghost" version of the Grey Child or something. They opted to keep the eyes for it, on the grounds that the creatures don't attack the player and can't be attacked (although I think these creatures appear later in the game and can indeed attack/be attacked, IIRC, oddly enough...) They were kinda cute in a morbid sort of way, making those squeaking sounds and tripping and falling down sometimes, lol.

I'm not too sure about the last one, what it could've/would've been. It sort of looks like a humanoid head being viewed from the side. Perhaps this would've been used for one of the wall textures or something, like the stretched-skin-style things already present in the final game.
PaulSilentin wrote:Here you can have all textures from "CHARA" folder of OPM16 and retail JAP SH version in TIM format (CharlesM new sh extractor). Textures marked as "CLD1-3" is about this thread. I will try to restore beta models later with model replacement and stuff.
PaulSilentin wrote:c:\SH\ex\CHARA\AR.ILM Alessa Gillespie (in teen age)
c:\SH\ex\CHARA\BAR.ILM (woman?)
c:\SH\ex\CHARA\BD2.ILM (?)
c:\SH\ex\CHARA\BFLU.ILM Flauros
c:\SH\ex\CHARA\BIG.ILM (?)
c:\SH\ex\CHARA\BIRD.ILM (Air Screamer? - bird)
c:\SH\ex\CHARA\BLISA.ILM Lisa Garland (bloody version)
c:\SH\ex\CHARA\BOS.ILM Incubus(Samael, enemy boss)
c:\SH\ex\CHARA\BOS2.ILM Incubator (Alessa white, enemy boss)
c:\SH\ex\CHARA\BTFY.ILM (?)
c:\SH\ex\CHARA\CAT.ILM cat
c:\SH\ex\CHARA\CKN.ILM Air Screamer (bird normal, enemy)
c:\SH\ex\CHARA\CLD1.ILM Larval Stalker (little child)
c:\SH\ex\CHARA\CLD2.ILM Demon Child/Invisible Demon Child (old child, enemy)
c:\SH\ex\CHARA\CLD3.ILM Demon Child/Invisible Demon Child (USA censored child, enemy)
c:\SH\ex\CHARA\CLD4.ILM Mumbler
c:\SH\ex\CHARA\COC.ILM Creeper (big cockroach, enemy)
c:\SH\ex\CHARA\DARIA.ILM Dahlia Gillespie
c:\SH\ex\CHARA\DEAD.ILM (?)
c:\SH\ex\CHARA\DG2.ILM Wormhead (dog evil, enemy)
c:\SH\ex\CHARA\DOB.ILM (man?)
c:\SH\ex\CHARA\DOC.ILM (man?)
c:\SH\ex\CHARA\DOG.ILM Groaner (dog normal, enemy)
c:\SH\ex\CHARA\DUMMY.ILM placeholder
c:\SH\ex\CHARA\EI.ILM (?)
c:\SH\ex\CHARA\FAT.ILM (Split Head?)
c:\SH\ex\CHARA\FRG.ILM (?)
c:\SH\ex\CHARA\HERO.ILM Harry Mason
c:\SH\ex\CHARA\ICU.ILM (?)
c:\SH\ex\CHARA\JACK.ILM (?)
c:\SH\ex\CHARA\KAU.ILM Michael Kaufmann (with case)
c:\SH\ex\CHARA\LISA.ILM Lisa Garland (normal version)
c:\SH\ex\CHARA\LITL.ILM (?)
c:\SH\ex\CHARA\MAN.ILM (?)
c:\SH\ex\CHARA\MAR.ILM (Nurse?)
c:\SH\ex\CHARA\MKY.ILM (?)
c:\SH\ex\CHARA\MSB.ILM Cybil Bennet (Possessed version, enemy boss)
c:\SH\ex\CHARA\MTH.ILM Floatstinger (giant mole or butterfly, enemy boss)
c:\SH\ex\CHARA\OST.ILM (?)
c:\SH\ex\CHARA\PRS.ILM (?)
c:\SH\ex\CHARA\PRSD.ILM (?)
c:\SH\ex\CHARA\ROD.ILM (?)
c:\SH\ex\CHARA\SIBYL.ILM Cybil Bennet (normal version)
c:\SH\ex\CHARA\SLT.ILM Hanged Scratcher (sewer spider, enemy)
c:\SH\ex\CHARA\SNK.ILM (?)
c:\SH\ex\CHARA\SRL.ILM Cheryl Mason
c:\SH\ex\CHARA\TAR.ILM Cheryl Mason (in Alessa school clothing)
c:\SH\ex\CHARA\TDRA.ILM Dahlia Gillespie (copy?)
c:\SH\ex\CHARA\WRM.ILM Twinfeeler (worm from mall, enemy boss)
Giromancy wrote:
admin
Site Admin

Re: beta monsters textures [restored topic]

Post by admin »

PaulSilentin wrote:Done. I will release *.ppf file with "beta mod" project in near-future.

CHARA\CLD1.ILM Larval Stalker (little child)
CHARA\CLD2.ILM Demon Child/Invisible Demon Child (old child, enemy)
CHARA\CLD3.ILM Demon Child/Invisible Demon Child (USA censored child, enemy)
CHARA\CLD4.ILM Mumbler
Thanks you! This is useful information. But how did you fixed the textures palette? I don't know how to fix it, it always distorted for me:
dahlia.png
dahlia.png (50.17 KiB) Viewed 5394 times
also, how did you open PRS.TIM file? My tool is crashing everytime i try...

p.s. thank you for SH PAL save files! Extremely useful!
https://sites.google.com/site/shresort/epsxe-gamesaves
ps.jpg
ps.jpg (118.96 KiB) Viewed 5394 times
I can't clearly understand the structure of levels and level models files. Seems like models & placement files stored inside of "BG" and in "VIN" folders. /BG (contains .TIM, .PLM, IPD files), VIN (contains .BIN)

Following logic "BG" folder is 36,6 MB and "VIN" is 3,50 MB (JP retail ver.). Looks like inside of /BG folder contains models and textures of the city. And inside of /VIN folder is some kind of hybrid of text and placement files merged together inside plus extra files and unknown data. Pretty confusing, but maybe we will edit/add monsters coordinates in the locations if we will understand the structure.
giromancy wrote:You're welcome ;). It´s simple, just copy and paste the different palletes (layers) to Photoshop, for example, the texture of Harry (HERO.ILM) you have ¨15¨ Palletes, each one with a different color, red for Hammer, brown for his jacket, blue for handgun etc. when you have all the palletes separate in each layer in Photoshop, just cut the wrong colors in each layer and then merge all the layers to have a full color texture and that´s it. Sorry for my Engrish, i hope you have understood.

Here, you have an example:

Im using TimViewer and I had no problem opening files, also you can use jpsxdec, make an ¨analyze disc image¨ and then explore all the Tim files with their respective palletes, you can convert it to BMP if you want and save it to your Computer, it works fine for me.

he textures: PRS.ILM & PRSD.ILM in the OPM demo are beta textures of Puppet Nurses and Parasitized Doctor, I guess that's how they looked in a early development:
paulsilentin wrote:nice find, they are really different! Here how it's looks like in-game, my mod. (it was harder than demon's child imports)
pic.jpg
pic.jpg (175.53 KiB) Viewed 5394 times
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

martinbiohazard wrote:Wow! without words... great work Giromancy and PaulSilentin, I find very interesting to port data from OPM to the final version! I will try to do it myself! :D And if I can I will upload a video or a patch (or maybe I should leave that honor to you Paul? ;) ). Have you still in mind to make a patch with all this beta stuff imported?

Greetings!

EDIT (21-08-2014):

Here a small gift from me for all you Silent Hill Fans:

This are 3 patchs to restore some beta/censored enemies in your Silent Hill (SLES-01514) version!

Instructions:
Just apply the patch you wish with PPF-O-MATIC to your CD image of game (the image should be in .BIN format).

Patch 1.ppf apply the next changes:
Replace original CLD1.ILM/CLD1.TIM (Larval Stalker, invisible version) with CLD1.ILM/CLD1.TIM (Larval Stalker, visible version) from OPM Demo.
Replace original CLD4.ILM/CLD4.TIM (Mumbler) with CLD2.ILM/CLD2.TIM (Orange Child) from OPM Demo.
Replace original PRS.ILM/PRS.TIM (Puppet Nurses) with PRS.ILM/PRS.TIM (Puppet Nurses, beta version) from OPM Demo.
Replace original PRSD.ILM/PRSD.TIM (Parasitized Doctor) with PRSD.ILM/PRSD.TIM (Parasitized Doctor, beta version) from OPM Demo.

Patch 2.ppf apply the next changes:
Replace original CLD1.ILM/CLD1.TIM (Larval Stalker, invisible version) with CLD1.ILM/CLD1.TIM (Larval Stalker, visible version) from OPM Demo.
Replace original CLD4.ILM/CLD4.TIM (Mumbler) with CLD3.ILM/CLD3.TIM (Demon Child) from OPM Demo.
Replace original PRS.ILM/PRS.TIM (Puppet Nurses) with PRS.ILM/PRS.TIM (Puppet Nurses, beta version) from OPM Demo.
Replace original PRSD.ILM/PRSD.TIM (Parasitized Doctor) with PRSD.ILM/PRSD.TIM (Parasitized Doctor, beta version) from OPM Demo.

Patch 3.ppf apply the next changes:
Replace original CLD2.ILM/CLD2.TIM (Orange Child, invisible version) with CLD2.ILM/CLD2.TIM (Orange Child, visible version) from OPM Demo.
Replace original CLD4.ILM/CLD4.TIM (Mumbler) with CLD2.ILM/CLD2.TIM (Orange Child) from OPM Demo.

Enjoy!

Credits:
HoRRoR/horror_x and CharlesM for his great SH extractors!
PaulSilentin for share very useful info about SH1 modding!
Giromancy for share very useful info and for his admirable dedication to SH1!

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/download/cxt6og4uscab897
Here original source code by HoRRoR/horror_x (src folder):
https://www.mediafire.com/?6fayl1zm92edwzr

Here updated source code by CharlesM (main.cpp file inside):
http://cgfm2.emuviews.com/new/shx-010814.zip

i guess you will find all the technical information you need inside if you can understand this programming language.
paulsilentin wrote:Well, let's see what we've got. There is 3 main versions of the tool, let's list them:

1. old original Silent Hill Files Extractor by HoRRoR_X
Support: PAL - SLES-01514 only
Usage:
CODE:SELECT ALL
Silent Hill Files Extractor by HoRRoR_X
http://consolgames.ru/
Usage:
SHExtract.exe <Executable> <SILENT> <OutDir>

2. 3rd party modification of this tool from the source code made by Charles MacDonald/CharlesM
Support:
JP, Full Game (SLPM-86192)
EU, Full Game (SLES-01514)
OPSM #16 (SCUS-94278)
US, Trial (Demo) Game (SLUS-90050)
JP, Trial (Demo) Game (SLPM-80363)
EU, Trial (Demo) Game (SLED-01735)
Usage:
Silent Hill data tool.
Based on an original programn (C) 2010 HoRRoR_X (www.consolegames.ru)
This program (C) 2014 Charles MacDonald (cgfm2.emuviews.com)

usage: shx <command> <parameters...>
Specify a command with no parameters to get help on use.
Available commands are: view extract unused
3. Updated original Silent Hill Files Extractor by horror_x
Support:
SLES-01514 - EU, Full Game
SLUS-00707 - US, Full Game (v1.1) (NEW)
SLUS-00707 - US, Full Game Beta (v1.0) (NEW)
SLPM-86192 - JP, Full Game
SLED-01735 - EU, Trial (Demo) Game
SLUS-90050 - US, Trial (Demo) Game
SLPM-80363 - JP, Trial (Demo) Game
SCUS-94278 - Official U.S. PlayStation Magazine Demo Disc #16
SCED-02420 - Best Horror Games Ever Demo (NEW)
Usage:
Silent Hill Files Extractor by horror_x
http://consolgames.ru/
Usage:
SHExtract.exe <ISOImage> <OutDir>
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

wayback machine doesnt have all of the original topic or images so check out the yt videos:
https://youtu.be/FO-cHBzfY2k
https://youtu.be/CwOpMsZAO9o
https://youtu.be/-0iUIHga11w
roocker666 wrote:silent hill 1 is one of the best games. In this video you will see a new monster, there are six different monsters and they are inside the game but without some use.

I wanted to hack the game to make a harry mod and I did it. in the process I found several files that seemed to have no use in the game and some people also found them but nobody knew what they were. Well we knew they were 3d models but models of what ?. I searched for information but could not find an answer. These files had name: FRG, MKY, OST, EI, BTFY and SNK, so I thought they were monsters. I said Maybe FRG is a frog but how to check this? I decided to replace a model of a monster in the game, I chose the cockroach and the result was successful! Unfortunately the monsters have glitches but the important thing was to know how they look. Here is the first monster called "FRG"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Special thanks to: PaulSilentin, Gyromancy and the people who made the extraction tools. Keep hacking!!!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

https://silenthillcommunity.com/alchemi ... sters.html

Also restored the post about the monsters found by roocker666 to link above
Attachments
snk2.jpg
snk2.jpg (46.59 KiB) Viewed 5378 times
ost2.jpg
ost2.jpg (54.47 KiB) Viewed 5378 times
moth.jpg