AlchemillaHsospital

A Positive of the Silent Hill HD Collection

All topics that don't fit elsewhere, or about the series in general.
S.L.D.T.

A Positive of the Silent Hill HD Collection

Post by S.L.D.T. »

While the Silent Hill HD Collection that was released on the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 certainly doesn't provide the best port jobs of Silent Hill 2 and Silent Hill 3, the ports that it provides in the very least offer an additional avenue of exposure to those who have never experienced either of these games before. While complete-in-box copies of the original PS2 ports steadily becoming more and more pricey and rare on the grey market as the years have passed, complete-in-box copies of the HD Collection have seemingly remained fairly common and inexpensive. Konami definitely botched the handling of this title, but it at least put more copies of the original titles out there in a roundabout way that increased its availability for those who are opposed to emulation (not that I am such a person, but more legitimate options are always nice).
Last edited by S.L.D.T. on Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Otherworld

Re: A Positive of the Silent Hill HD Collection

Post by Otherworld »

Emulation is the best bet now. The HD collection is another stain on this franchise but I understand where you are coming form here.

Thing is, it feels like some treat the PS3 era like it does not exist.
I'm going to town either way.
Norus_Rebirthed

Post by Norus_Rebirthed »

It probably would have had the same issues (never read any reviews of it) but I sometimes think of The Silent Hill Collection https://www.silenthillmemories.net/coll ... ion_en.htm
2 to 4. Released to tie in with the first Movie.
Another wistful post on a Silent Hill forum about what might have been! :brows:
S.L.D.T.

Post by S.L.D.T. »

I think that The Silent Hill Collection that was released for the PS2 is akin to the Resident Evil: The Essentials collection that was also released for the PS2 the following year (i.e., a bundled re-release of several previous titles with no significant changes to any of them).
Kurosawa

Post by Kurosawa »

I had known the Silent Hill games since the first release but first played them on the HD collection. My PC couldn't have handled emulating the games back then. Original PS2 copies were already hard to find. I later bought the PS2 copies at a hefty price.

In my case the HD collection had atleast some positive effect.
Norus_Rebirthed

Why didn't I take a picture?!! Found a second hand(at that price?) well found a copy in a second hand store going for £35! While every other game was less than £15.
Otherworld

Post by Otherworld »

Sony could easily make these games available to be played the way they should be via backward compatibility. Man, they are missing the boat here.

HD Collection serves a purpose but takes away from the true experience.
I'm going to town either way.
Annin_Tofu

Post by Annin_Tofu »

Another option for people with a modern TV, is to get this HDMI to AV converter. That means you can play older games from the PS2 era or whatever, on a newer monitor, which uses only has a VGA or HDMI port. It won't make the game appear in HD, however. It will border on all sides just the same.

How did they lose the 'source code' anyway? Careless Konami!
Norus_Rebirthed

And all these later... Here comes the patch!!!
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/silent ... est-update
Annin_Tofu

Post by Annin_Tofu »

Better late than never. ;)

In 2 days, though, I hope those rumours from Twitter are true. But don't get too excited until then.