AlchemillaHsospital

Alessa's use of Travis

Otherworld

Alessa's use of Travis

Post by Otherworld »

I always thought Alessa used Travis as a conduit. He did what she needed him to do while Travise was dealing with his own demons as well.

Origins laid the groundwork for what was written on the BOLM regarding what happened to it after the 1st game and how it ended up calling to those with guilt. It seems like Travis was the 1st one.,
I'm going to town either way.
Xuchilbara

Re: Alessa's use of Travis

Post by Xuchilbara »

It actually contradicts BOLM, quite a bit.
"Speak.
I am the Crimson One.
The lies and the mist are
not they, but I.
You all know that I am One.
Yes, and the One is I."
- Me, probably
Otherworld

Post by Otherworld »

Xuchilbara wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 8:39 am It actually contradicts BOLM, quite a bit.
It definitely does contradict BOLM as well. The way I look at it now is that it is canon and has to be worked into the lore one way or another.

I am just trying to make sense of it all.
rodox_head

Post by rodox_head »

I really wish the game was better put together, because I still love it to bits. I like the idea of Travis being a surrogate/metaphorical "big brother" to Alessa in the Alessa/Cheryl/Heather life cycle. It's kinda fitting since both Travis and Heather wear a winter vest and a necklace given to them by their respective fathers as children.

It's just my silly head-canon, though. :|
In here is a tragedy, art thou player or audience?
Be as it may, the end doth remain:
all go on only toward death.
There is nothing which cannot become a puppet of fate
or an onlooker, peering into the cage.
firecrest

Post by firecrest »

Otherworld wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 3:29 pmThe way I look at it now is that it is canon and has to be worked into the lore one way or another.

I think an updated BOLM-like guidebook could be written that includes Origins.

The way I look at BOLM is that it includes canon explanation for the first three games if they made up the entire series. Silent Hill 4 -The Room- is from the original team, but one could argue that it has contradictory info to BOLM, too. That does not mean SH4 should be considered non-canon.

It's inevitable that when more games enter the series, its lore should also be expanded and tweaked.
Otherworld

Post by Otherworld »

firecrest wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 6:41 pm
Otherworld wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 3:29 pmThe way I look at it now is that it is canon and has to be worked into the lore one way or another.

I think an updated BOLM-like guidebook could be written that includes Origins.

The way I look at BOLM is that it includes canon explanation for the first three games if they made up the entire series. Silent Hill 4 -The Room- is from the original team, but one could argue that it has contradictory info to BOLM, too. That does not mean SH4 should be considered non-canon.

It's inevitable that when more games enter the series, its lore should also be expanded and tweaked.
The reality here is Origins is canon. I wish the devs ensured that they did not contradict BOLM. But we got what we got so we have to work with it.

Another Crimson Tome takes care of 4.

Anything after that depends upon the devs' knowledge and willingness to either conform or contradict BOLM.
Xuchilbara

Post by Xuchilbara »

Either way I blame Konami since they weren't in communication as much with earlier devs or source material.
"Speak.
I am the Crimson One.
The lies and the mist are
not they, but I.
You all know that I am One.
Yes, and the One is I."
- Me, probably
Otherworld

Post by Otherworld »

Xuchilbara wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 7:46 am Either way I blame Konami since they weren't in communication as much with earlier devs or source material.
It all lies at Konami's feet. The unabashed carelessness shown by Konami for this IP is horrible.
rodox_head

Post by rodox_head »

Xuchilbara wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 8:39 am It actually contradicts BOLM, quite a bit.
Honest question: What exactly are the contradictions? I've always heard it had them, but never really knew for sure what they were and to what severity. The only thing I've really known about was the initial cause of the fire, but I never really took that as a severe retcon.
In here is a tragedy, art thou player or audience?
Be as it may, the end doth remain:
all go on only toward death.
There is nothing which cannot become a puppet of fate
or an onlooker, peering into the cage.
floatstinger

Post by floatstinger »

I've always thought, for the time they were given, Origins was an underrated and good game that borders on great. A longer run time, and more time in general, could have made it even better.